12.12.2011

Ribbon Blanket

I have been seeing these ribbon blankets/taggies/lovies in stores and boutiques everywhere since before getting pregnant and decided it would be a fun adventure to make it myself. It ended up being a very simple procedure.

First, I took a piece of fabric and divided it evenly in 2. I used the patchwork Penguin blanket material that matches B's throw.

Second, I chose a number of ribbon spools (various colors, sizes and textures) and cut them into 6" strands. I ended up doing 26 pieces so as to make 1 per each side of the blanket patch squares.




Next, I hand pressed and creased the ribbons.

Then, I pinned the blanket together so everything was evenly lined up and good side-good side. Afterwards, I went through and pinned the ribbon loops backwards (loop in the middle of the good sides), leaving the ribbon ends sticking out a 1/2".

Finally, Husby sewed around the blanket, leaving a small section open for turning. Then he turned it inside out and sewed the open edge closed (you could do this by hand to hide the stichwork, but given that the blanket is patchwork by nature, we figured it was safe to just sew on the machine closed).

Final Product:

No comments: