11.25.2010

Thanksgiving...

It is officially Thanksgiving on our home. B is done (and boy was tonight a bit of a fight), so I am definitely thankful for that. This year has been a roller coaster of ups and downs around us. Every year I always hope the next year will be full of more joy than sadness, but I think I have come to the conclusion that finding joy in even the saddest moment is the way to survive in this big world. So below I list what I am thankful for this year.

I am Thankful for...
First and foremost, our son B. He is definitely my world and a complete joy. We have some rough days, but it is still a learning challenge I am happy to experience. He is our miracle and all that we had to do to have him in our arms, makes me cherish him even more and to be so grateful.

I am thankful for all the medicine and medical procedures that allowed me to become a mother. It is definitely not without the advances in technology and medicine that I was able to welcome our son into this world. I hope now that the future pregnancies will be as wonderful as B's was, but I know I was very lucky to have such a smooth 9.5 months. I do not care what anyone says or thinks, I am thankful for all the medical staff at my OB/GYN and the hospital staff because without them I am not sure I would be where I am today, raising our 2 month old son and watching him develop and grow.

I am grateful for my husband. He is by far my best friend and a fabulous husband and father. He also is a great listener and wonderful partner in crime when it comes to the household. We have battled some difficult times, overcome numerous obstacles and remained a strong front. Communication is crucial throughout our relationship and there are times we drop the ball, but we always work out our differences and find common ground. I cannot thank him enough for being my rock and confidante through the years. Our relationship started during one of the toughest points in my life, and he amazingly weathered the storm alongside me and it definitely built a very strong bond between us and laid a strong foundation for our relationship and eventual marriage.

I am thankful for my Mom; for raising me to be the strong woman I am today and for continuing to support me and guide me as I become a Mom myself. We had our tough years, but I definitely feel we have become better friends in the recent years and I am glad to have her for a shoulder to lean on and an ear to chat with.

I am also thankful for my Mother-in-Law for all the support and guidance she gives us. In addition, I am thankful for making Husby who he is today. I know it is not typically this way, but my MIL and I get along quite well and I enjoy her chats as well.

I also am grateful for all of our family and their support and caring dedication throughout the years. The same can be said for our friends here in Florida and all over the US. Even though we may not be blood relatives, some of our friends are close like family.

I am thankful we both have decent jobs that allow us to spend time with B and each other and still support our comfortable lifestyle. We scrimp and budget and sometimes make due on a strict budget, but it is mainly our own doing for a splurge on something or to build up savings or something. I know a lot of people are struggling in this economy and although we have not seen raises or make fabulous salaries, we are happy with what we do and appreicate the salary we do get.

The clique: I am thankful for a roof over my head, food on the table, good fortune and health.

My Prayers:

For those who are struggling and need a second chance in life. I hope they find the strength to pick themselves up and brush off the bad and smile as they move onto new opportunities. We ALL need a second chance, and sometimes a little boost, so I hope those in greatest need find that boost or chance.

For those who are facing an obstacle or challenge they do not feel they can overcome. I pray they find the willpower and knowledge to overcome the challenge and battle their fears. As the adage goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade".

I pray for the families who have lost a loved one this past year. We have seen the passing of friends and know the brevity of life and it is with these passings, we learn importance of savoring every moment and cherishing life. I hope these families are full of love and comfort through this holiday season when the thoughts of their loved ones bring them to tears. I hope their hearts are not heavy with sadness but rather full of wonderful memories and thoughts of their loved ones. 

For those who are battling an non-winning battle with a terminal disease, I pray they find the inner peace to realize their fate and God's ultimate path for them. I hope in the future medicine and technology will find ways to win these battles, but right now that is not the case for all diseases. I hope these people can find the good in their lives and hold on those memories as they face this new battle and the treatments and medications and side effects they will undergo.

Along with the above, I pray for the families of these ill patients. I pray they can find kindness and love in this world to give them hope and support as they standby their family members. Having gone through this with my Dad and Grandpa, I know firsthand the stress and ultimate sadness they face. It is hard to say goodbye to someone and I hope it never has to happen too early, but I have witnessed and know there is little that can be done. I have learned God has a plan for everyone. We may not agree with the plan, but we have to let him be our guide and understand he knows what is best for us.

I also pray for our military personnel and their families, especially for those deployed. They do not get to celebrate holidays like we do with all the fixings and sides....they will be lucky to get a good night's rest even. Military families bear a large burden and their daily prayer involves the safe return of their loved ones. I pray they find the strength to get through the countdowns and the gratitude others around the nation feel for them and their loved ones protecting our livesand our freedoms. Freedom in this world is not free; someone has shed blood or fought for the freedom we have. We must never take it for granted and therefore we should always thank a veteran or active military for doing their job and protecting us each and everyday.

So while we spend time with our friends and one another tomorrow, we will be saying thanks and prayers for so much. I also send my thoughts and prayers for my extended family in NY as they face some difficult times in the near future. I hope they know I am thinking of them and praying everything works out, but know I will be there when the time comes. Please let the diagnosis be benign for my godfather and please watch over and comfort my godmother and cousins these next few days/weeks/months.

Hug your loved ones tight this holiday season and make many memories that you can hold on to cherish forever. I wish everyone a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving (and holiday season).

No comments: