3.15.2010

A bump in the road...

So we have had a hectic weekend and week so far. For the last couple days (Thursday-Saturday), I was waking up with a slight difficulty to urinate. I have always had a shy bladder, so I was really not concerned at best. Typically, I would just get up, get a drink, eat breakfast, and then would be able to go. lSaturday, this started and it took longer for me to go, but finally I was able to. Saturday, we went and did errands, and I had little problems peeing throughout the day. I ended up buying 2 pairs of maternity pants at Motherhood Maternity since my clothes are beginning to get uncomfortable. Then we headed to Orlando and went to Babies R Us for their Baby Registry Open House. We finalized our registry at BRU (and later came home and updated the Target and Walmart ones). Except for the gender specific materials and clothes, we are registered. We looked at cribs once again, and found a small store that sells cribs that were more ideal for us. Turns out I cannot reach into most cribs because my torso is short and my hips site below the rails of most cribs. These cribs by BabyDreams have a 12" safe hinge on the front that allows me to reach in and tocuh the bottom of the crib without any problem, even when the mattress is at its lowest. Afterwards, we met with my aunt, uncle and cousin that we are close to, to tell them the news and meet for dinner. We ate at Tony Roma's and again everything was fine.

Sunday, I woke up and the bladder issue started again. Figuring it would work itself out, I drank fluids and ate breakfast. By noon, I was still unable to go, so after contacting the doctor, it was suggested to go to the hospital and get a catheter inserted to help relieve me. They did that and then ran some urine samples to see if I had an infection and that came back clear and normal. Then they decided to do a pelvic exam and in doing so they scratched me causing me to bleed. With that the doctor than was afraid I was having a miscarriage so they took samples and then inserted a port to get blood samples. Then they sent me for an ultrasound to see how the baby was doing. All my blood work came back fine, and my ultrasound came back fine. The baby now measures 11 weeks, 4 days, and had a strong heartbeat and was moving around and flexing while we were under the ultrasound. Because they could see nothing wrong and determine the cause of my blockage or the bleeding, they sent me home with the catheter. Last night was a horrible experience. I was so uncomfortable and could not sleep or find a position to lay.

This morning, I called the OB and finally got in to see him around 1ish. I was passing fluid fine through the catheter and Foley bag and was not experiencing any pain. He listened to the heartbeat and it once again sounded strong. He then decided to take the catheter out since it was not good to keep it in. After, he wanted to run cultures on my urine samples, so I was instructed to drink some cold water and then give them a sample. We left and headed to leave since I am scheduled for another appointment next week, for my normal checkup and he prescribed an antibiotic to protect me if I do have an infection. We left and headed to lunch downtown (at Off the Traxx), where I drank another class of water to keep flushing things out. I was able to pee at the office and give them a small sample and then I peed again at the restaurant. We then left and headed to the pharmacy to drop my presciption off and then were planning to run errands. As we were leaving the pharmacy to return later, I was feeling uncomfortable so we headed to the house, so I could pee at home. Surprise, surprise...I was yet again blocked. So we called the doctor and back to the office we went. There, they looked baffled, and performed a straight catheter to drain me. Once again I drained alot of fluid out and they decided to schedule me for a meeting with a uroloist to see if they can figure out what is causing this. I was sent home with catheters to do to myself, should I block again or if I am unable to do it, back to the ER we must go. Odds are they think I will be able to do it to myself, especially if I am in pain since I know it will be an hour or two before the ER will catheter me. Hopefully, things will continue to be ok since the catheter they used in the office is more a rigid plastic than the ER catheter which was latex rubber. So far things have been good, I was able to pee on my own earlier this evening and am praying it continues. The nurse at the OB office was going to get me scheduled for a urologist appointment tomorrow morning hopefully, so we can get to the bottom of this. I hope it is either an infection that is going to clear itself up with the antibiotics I am on or it is due to the pressure of my expanding uterus and baby.

This has been a truly trying couple days and fingers crossed it does not continue tonight. Hubby thinks this is the baby's way to mess with me, since it never caused me morning sickness and I think the baby is just being a little stinker causing trouble early on.

No comments: